Pages

Tuesday, May 5, 2015

But Next Year...

If there’s one thing that I’ve learned my freshman year of high school, it;s that you do not know frustration until you become a double athlete. Period. You just don’t. From last week through the next two, I will have had to miss a minimum of four track meets due to volleyball tournaments. Four. That’s the Saturday meet last weekend, the two day this this weekend, and regions, which yes, I am qualified for as a freshman.

So as I’m minding my own business in first period today, I feel my phone buzz against my hip. Being as my geography teacher was still hanging out in the hall and the bell hadn’t rung yet I checked it, only to see a text from my track coach. I open it thinking, ‘Okay, no big deal, he’s probably just asking why I wasn’t at practice yesterday even though my season is technically over. I’m not going state as a freshman, I barely made time for regionals, and I’m not even on the team for tha-‘


The text that made this my best and worst day of the week so far
and here you can see my PR for the jr varsity 400meter dash (heat 4, lane 2)



I was cut short when I read the words, “Have you entered in the region meet.” I just about died! I was going to the region track meet! As a FRESHMAN! That like doesn’t happen. I was ecstatic… Until I read the next line, “Do you have volleyball?” … Yes. Dammit! Of course my very last tournament of the season falls on the exact same two days as the important meet I wanted to go to… Again! This is freaking Pineview all over again.


After that I was on an emotional roller coaster as I went back and forth texting my coach and my mom trying to figure out if I could go to the meet and then the tournament. Unfortunately, both start at 3:00 on Friday and as I currently don’t have the power to be in two places at once, I won’t be able to make it to the meet this year. But next year…

No comments:

Post a Comment